Anchor Points: Truth
Summary: Jesus frees us from slavery to sin by anchoring our lives in the truth of His Word.
Key Scripture: John 8:31-36 NIV 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” 34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
Why we need to be anchored in truth.
1 To understand right from wrong.
- People are drowning in facts instead of sailing with the truth.
- “Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” Psalm 25:5 NIV
- “Make every effort to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed workman who accurately handles the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:25 BSB
2 To set you free from bondage to sin.
- Sin only has power over us when we refuse to believe that Jesus has power over it through the cross.
- “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1 NIV
- “The heart that has really tasted the grace of Christ, will instinctively hate sin.” J.C. Ryle
3 To teach you to be a blessing to others.
- How we treat other people reveals a lot about what we actually believe about Jesus.
- “Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.” 1 Peter 3:9 NIV
- “Truth without love is brutality, and love without truth is hypocrisy.” Warren Wiersbe
To cure discouragement feed your mind with bible truth and you will regain your perspective and refresh your faith.