Summary: Surrendering your life actually frees you to live out the full potential of God’s purpose and blessing for your life.
Key Scripture: Matthew 16:24-26 NIV
24 “Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.” 25 “For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.” 26 “What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?”
Three ways surrender changes your life.
1 It makes God your first priority.
- Surrender means we accept that Jesus is the most important thing in our life before anything else.
- “And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28 BSB
- “When you surrender your will to God, you discover the resources to do what God requires.” Erwin Lutzer
2 It breaks the cycle of worry.
- “Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6 HCSB
- Surrender breaks you free from the prison of fear and false security that you try to build with your own strength.
3 It positions your life for blessing.
- You will never regret surrendering something of personal importance to God because He will reward your humble faith.
- “Whatever God is urging you to clear away cannot begin to be compared to what He ultimately wants to bring you.” Beth Moore
- “And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:8 NIV
“It is wonderful what miracles God works in wills that are utterly surrendered to Him.” Hannah Whitall Smith
Completely surrendering to God means we intentionally give every part of our lives to Him. This opens our life to experience the fullness of His loving grace and God given purpose every day.